Hendel does Israel

While I may no longer technically be in Israel, I have no intention of stopping who I am or what I am about. We all know the timeless Chabad teaching of "Mach Doh Eretz Yisael" - its very empowering. I'll let you know about my journey, my struggles and my dreams. JaHbless.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

a tribute to the 'settler youth' - missing nothing!

On Shabbos, someone asked me, "Nu, what is the Hoyroah ( positive practical lesson) in avodas HaShem (service of G-d) you learnt at Amona.

I told him as follows:


"You know, the media has tried to criticize the settler youth, calling the wild and violent. However, there is one thing that stands out with them, that we can learn so much from.

When I was 15, the kids in my class who were 'into it' (being frum and chassidish) were always the kids who were seen as missing out on things. They missed out on the girls, the cigarettes, the movies, the non cholov yisrael chocolate bars, the drugs...

The kids in Amona are different. By them being strong in their yiddishkait, being into what they believe in, they are not missing out on anything, in fact, they are the coolest kids, they are the heros of their class and their school.

Its truly amazing, when you see 15 year olds, boys and girls, willing to sacrifice their lives for something real.

In our wildest dreams, we hope that the youth of Melbourne will be able to break out of their apathy and discover their hidden potential, and give up some of their comfort for a higher cause. If only they (and all of us) realised what we are capable of when we are pulled and stretched to the limit.

The settler youth are not wild of and out of control, they are switched on, inspired and alive.

My wish is, one day, with G-ds help, I too will have kids, who have that much conviction, and that much belief.

......................................

In other news, we made our first Melavah Malka this week, it was great, plenty of live music, good vibes, and of course, a Reb Levi Yitzchak story! Well on our way to lighting up melbourne!



lighting up and elevating
the sparks!










happy faces
isser, sruli & me







eli g, a bit bored?
adam trying out a bamboo flute








loving it,
mach doh eretz yisrael!








good vibes








Shavua Tov - A week of peace in Israel and the whole world!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dovid said...

Hey Moish. The pictures remind me of that party at my place....remember?

4:31 PM  
Blogger subjewd said...

i think that party at your place was the first that inspired many parties to come!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Issur, welcome to the holy land. Did you bring along your sexyphone?

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home