Hendel does Israel

While I may no longer technically be in Israel, I have no intention of stopping who I am or what I am about. We all know the timeless Chabad teaching of "Mach Doh Eretz Yisael" - its very empowering. I'll let you know about my journey, my struggles and my dreams. JaHbless.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

the Heligeh Ruzhiner and other great men...

Have you heard of the Heligeh Ruzhiner?

He was the sweetest child.So innocent, so pure and so holy.

Story 1:
When he was a little child, he was learning in cheder the segya in Gemorah about a person who gets lost in the desert and doesn't know when shabbos is (we are learning that Gemorah now...) He raises his hand and tells his teacher
"Rebbe, I don't understand the Gemorah"
"What don't you understand about the Gemorah?"
"I don't understand how someone could get lost and not know when shabbos is...on shabbos, the sky looks different, I can SEE that its shabbos..."

Story 2:
Another time the Heligeh Ruzhiner was walking down the street and saw a prison, not knowing what a prison was he asked father to explain what the big buliding with high fences was for. His father explained that there are some poeple who do bad things, so they put them in this building and lock the door so they wont leave. Once again the Heligeh Ruzhiner didn't understand, he said:
"if they don't want them to leave, why lock the door and get high fences? just take away their negel vasser from next to their bed, and they wont be able to go anywhere!"

---> No wonder he was called the Heligeh Ruzhiner

On sunday, we had the privelge to have two great guests, Rav Mordichai Eliyahu (former chief Rabbi of Israel) and the Bialeh Rebbe. The came for a Hascholas Sefer Torah (begining of writing a new sefer torah, for the Mayanot Yeshivah).
Rav Mordichai said "the last letter of the torah is a Lamed, and the first a Beis. Just like a person can function, without many of his limbs (especially when he is asleep) if his heart stops, he will die. So to, the torah, is the heart of the Jewish people, and the heart of the world, it can never stop, we can never stop learning, and we have to realise how valuable it is..."

We were all also lucky enough, to each write a letter in the sefer torah.
Its strange, because the first few puskim of the torah, look pretty shakey, after all, I'm not exactly famous for my neat handwriting, so I asked a Rabbi, and he told me, one of the ways of seeing if a Torah is Kosher , is by checking if the first and last parts of the torah are messy! (which shows that it was written and filled up in the regular jewish way...)

7 Comments:

Blogger Dovid said...

Do you know about the Rebbe's relationship with the Bialeh Rebbe?

5:17 AM  
Blogger subjewd said...

I haven't heard anything. Howver someone mentioned, that when a chassid came to the beyala rebbe wanting to learn chassidus, he told him he must learn tanya...

11:27 PM  
Blogger Dovid said...

I'm almost sure that the story is with the bialeh Rebbe, but I may be off. (and if I am please excuse me.)

The present Bianer Rebbe was in college when his father passed away. He was an educated, modern man. He absolutely refused to become Rebbe, but the Rebbe told him he has to be Rebbe, and the Rebbe guided him through with everything. Now there are tens of letter the Rebbe sent him, and if you see the titles the Rebbe uses for him, I doubt you'll recognize such respect for anyone else. The Rebbe was very close to him, and gave money to the bianeh mosdos, etc.

4:51 AM  
Blogger subjewd said...

You are confusing him with the Biyaneh rebbe from the rudzin dynasty, who became rebbe when he was very young, i'm not sure if he went to college though...

10:12 PM  
Blogger Dovid said...

You're right. Thanks for the correction. And now I guess this story is irrelevant...

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didnt know that story, its not irrelevant- no story is.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The current Boyaner Rebbe is the younger grandson of the previous Rebbe, Rabbi Mordecai Solomon Friedman. His father Rabbi Menachem Brayer, did not become Rebbe and I believe was a lecturer at YU.He is currently the Rabbi of a small community in the Catskill mountains called Sackett Lake. On one of my trips to the mountains the Boyaner Rebbe's older brother was there. I believe he went to college as he works for NASA.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home